1.02.2008

Blogging. It's Calorie-Free.

Yet another yawning gap between entries means that there is way way too much to write about, and the urge to put it off becomes all the stronger. Nonetheless, I am not ready to give up the ghost on this blogging thing right now, because tis the season of miserable January and renewed interest in lives of others outside selfish little inner-sanctum returns... Also. If I'm blogging, I'm not helping myself to large portions of stilton, crackers, and chocolate truffles. This is a Good Thing.

Whenever I look back on 2007, and think about where I was a year ago (answer: In Michigan with one month old baby Sam, healing c-section stitches, and filling up homemade Christmas stockings because my Mummy was in town) I'm blown away by all the changes we have made in our lives. This is mostly good, and this morning when I came into work after a chunk of time off I was really pleased to see my workmates. Frank and I are gearing up for some serious house-hunting, and are aiming to find a place with a nice woodshed where he can get cracking on Bed Frame 2.0., stoke up a wood-burning stove, and drink lots of whiskey/tea. This gives us a sense of excitement, and the British housing market has been polite enough to stop escalating wildly since our arrival (not that this doesn't mean we're like looking at about half a million dollars for a miniature semi somewhere).

Jack has settled into British primary school so so well that he received the plum role of Father Christmas in the school Christmas play, 'A Sack Full of Presents'; a remarkable production that featured not only Santa, but Rudolf, the Sugar Plum Fairy, Toy Soldiers, Mary, Joseph, Three Kings, Shepherds, and a Baby Jesus in a Manger. Yep. After 5+ years of dodging the whole religious issue, one term at a British state school where there is no separation of Church and State, and Jack has got Jesus bad. He has been coming home regaling us with tales of the True meaning of Christmas, and when we let slip that we were well aware of this King of Men dude, he looks at us with disappointed eyes -- you guys where holding OUT on me....

His devout Grandma would have been absolutely delighted. Finally!

I don't feel I can write this entry without noting something else monumental that has happened this last month, even though it feels slightly disrespectful or flippant to do so. A couple of weeks ago Frank and I flew to the states to attend the funeral of his mother. It still doesn't feel real that she has gone, especially as she was always one of those Lazarus types, a tough old bird who became deathly ill and then rallied back to full health. She passed away on December 11th, and we're still reeling from it really--the fact we didn't get to say goodbye, the guilt of being so far away, and having to tell Jack that Grandma has died. Right now we are grateful for the concept of Heaven that has crept into his little imagination.

So Christmas has been interesting. Frantic activity, travelling, eating, more travelling, crying, laughing, the lot. When we came home to our house on December 27th after 2 weeks of being away, it was a relief that it did, at least a little bit, feel like home. But home still feels a million miles away, and when I spoke to one of our dearest friends and neighbors the other day, I couldn't help the floods of tears that came afterwards from the sense of isolation. We miss them all so much.

2007. What. A. Flipping. Year.

17 comments:

Fairly Odd Mother said...

So sorry about the death of your mother-in-law. Yes, 2007 was a year of challenges for you!

It's good to hear from you! Hope 2008 sees you truly feeling 'at home' in your new home.

verybadcat said...

I was just wondering how you were doing the other day, so I'm glad to see your post. My condolences on the loss of your mother in law. It sounds like you're slowly settling in, and as is usually the case, still mourning the life left behind. :)It's normal, you know that. Here's to a cozy and comfortable 2008. :)

Amy U. said...

I'm very sorry for your loss...may 2008 bring happiness and joy to you and your family.

Assertagirl

Virtualsprite said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your mother-in-law's death. Sympathies.

Glad to hear the kids are settling into life in Britian. Good luck finding a house!

mothergoosemouse said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your MIL, especially that you weren't able to say goodbye.

I will continue to look forward to your posts, no matter how few and far between they may be, because I can't give up on you, my friend.

moosh in indy. said...

What is it about death and the holidays?
Sorry about your MIL.
Sounds like Primary school over there sounds a lot like Utah, we'll get Jesus into you one way or another.

slouching mom said...

Joy!

Thanks for the update. I'm sorry to hear about your MIL.

But I'm glad that England is agreeing with you.

And I hope that 2008 is much calmer for you than last year was.

xxoo

AliBlahBlah said...

Very sorry to hear about your mother-in-law, wishing you a saner 2008!

Mimi said...

Helluva year, Joy, by any measure. I'm sorry for your loss, but I'm hoping 2008 brings joy (harhar) and peace in equal measure.

Eleanor said...

Joy, welcome to two-thousand-and-great! Everyone was really sorry to hear about Frank's mother at the Hubbard family Christmas, and were thinking about what a whirlwind-crazy time it's been for you guys; I'm sure it has been an absolute rollercoaster.

suburbanmum said...

So sorry to hear about your MiL. Hope you're enjoying this lovely Manchester weather :)

NotSoSage said...

That was one heck of a year.

I'm sorry about the loss of your mother-in-law. It's hard to be so far away when terrible things happen. But I'm glad that you had a home of sorts to come home to.

Redneck Mommy said...

I am so very sorry to hear of your mother in-law's passing.

Here's to 2008 being a fantabulous year for both our families.

Miss you, chicky.

Mrs. Davis said...

Glad to see you posting again. So sorry about your mother in law. You have handled so many big life changes in 2007. I hope the new year is full of all good things.

seo agency said...

These is really one of the great article which you can share is great. Here the gap between entries means that there is way way too much to write about, and the urge to put it off becomes all the stronger.In all these there are so many things which is really very great.

logo design service said...

In these article there are so many things which is really great. This gives us a sense of excitement, and the British housing market has been polite enough to stop escalating wildly since our arrival.

lax airport hotels said...

In all these there are so many things which is really very great. This is mostly good, and this morning when I came into work after a chunk of time off I was really pleased to see my workmates.