7.07.2007

Every street lamp seems to beat...a fatalistic warning

First, Thank You for all your responses to our news--awww, you guyses.

Since getting the news and posting that, we've been with friends at their cottage on a gorgeous lake in Michigan--the same friends who live next door to us in our neighborhood, and the same friends who christened it "the enablerhood." The last few days have been sun-drenched, kids galore, and all rather experienced through an alcoholic haze of "what the.....?" and "I can't believe you guys are leaving" and [breaks down sobbing] "You'd really take care of our dog so she doesn't have to go through quarantine, and cost us many many pounds????"

(Yeah. This is the kind of friends we're leaving. The kind who offer, completely unprompted, to take care of the mangy pestilence ridden doggie so she can be chipped and tested for rabies, and then do her time on this side of the Atlantic before being shipped to Blighty in January, and thus avoid doggie prison on the other side.

I know.)

There is so much to do, and so much emotional processing to do spending these few days next to water and a well-stocked fridge has been extremely well-timed. And the nice thing is that now I have a date, a goal, and sense of what to move towards, the last few weeks or months of living in limbo seem to have finally passed, and I can (to echo my mother) get on... And by "get on" I mean, of course, obsessively stalking rightmove.co.uk and drooling over cottages (that we likely could not swing a cat in) and trying to figure out where in the hell our boy will start (not kindergarten) primary school in (motherfudding) September. And I realize he'll wear school uniform and have to learn to say "Zed is for Zebra." It's that small stuff that does me in--not the small matter of selling a house and figuring out how to ship our life's possessions, and then live without them in a strange(ish) land for two months. And then I become anxious about furnished rentals with velour settees and whiffy shag pile carpets.

But it feels right. We suddenly feel that life, for good or for bad (uhm, let's say good, shall we?) will be moving forward, and something that seemed unattainable, a pipe dream, and even frightening, is going to happen. And what is life without some reckless acts of stupidity courage? Though it is bloody nice that one of us has a job squared away before we take the plunge. (thank you karma, fate, or whatever for that one... thank you).

Much water under the bridge still to pass. And yes, I am blogging it. Forget all that shit about this blog not being therapy or a journal, ok? This, my dears, will be my shrink's couch for the next few rollercoaster months. Hold me...

17 comments:

Lawyer Mama said...

I feel like I should put up a sign ala Lucy from Peanuts - "The doctor is in."

Moving sucks. Transatlantic moving? Well, that must be apocolyptic hell!

Not helping? I'm sure everything will be fiiiiine!

Lindyloo said...

When you get to this side I'll have a cuppa waiting for you.

Bon said...

holding.

so excited for you. :)

doow said...

Well that ends our session. £100 please.

MsPrufrock said...

Oh, how I love rightmove.co.uk. Well, love/hate since it only reminds me of the houses we cannot afford.

It appears you have a lot of support in bloglandia, so hopefully it will ease this huge transition. Again, good luck!

Fairly Odd Mother said...

Deep breath, deep breath. . . that is great doggie news too!

slouching mom said...

A little alcohol, a little blogging -- you'll be fine.

OK, maybe a lot of both.

And, in supremely bad timing (or perhaps good timing?), I've tagged you for the high school meme. Feel free to ignore if it feels like just one more chore.

Birchsprite said...

Ahhhh the joys of moving.

I'm in the process of buying a house in stroud (am currently in cirencester) So will be moving a grand total of 12 miles.... still wake up in a cold sweat sometimes!

It'll all be fine!

And if it's any consolation, the rental market in the UK is not nearly as bad as it used to be... it is possible to find decent places to rent...one of the benefits of the insane Buy to Let frenzy over here (the downside being that even oop north prices are a bit mad!)

Virtualsprite said...

What? We're not supposed to use our blogs for therapy? Ooops...

No worries. We've got you covered. I may even have a bottle of Jamesons that I could dust off and share with you. It's a big thing and you gotta vent.

ewe are here said...

Wow! Congratulations!

Start looking for people to ship your stuff by boat NOW - it's not easy or cheap these days. (I had to ship my pallet of belongings from Hawaii to Scotland a few years ago and really struggled.)

Suldog said...

Congratulations, of course! Didn't get them in on the last entry.

Insofar as using a blog for therapy, I've been doing that for the past two years +. Saved thousandsd of dollars. Glad to returen the favor to others :-)

Suburban Mum said...

We moved 200 miles and that was bad enough - so I have to admit I don't envy you doing the 1000s.

If you want any advice on all things Manchester, you know where to come :)

Marmite Breath said...

Girl, don't put CATS lyrics in your titles please because I have been pretending to be Elaine Paige all day. Fuckety fuck.

I am okay with you moving, as long as you realize you're honour bound to send me a packet of Minstrels when you get there.

Her Bad Mother said...

We're holding. And, in just a coupla weeks, I'll hold you for reals (but will have drinkies in both fists. hope you don't mind.)

Tere said...

I'm here to hold, darling. Very happy for you and yours!

Sandra said...

Holding for sure. And although, incredibly stressful I am sure ... a huge, huge, huge congratulations to you!!!

kgirl said...

Congratulations! Totally excited for you.