5.21.2007

Where'd She Go?

Posting has been thin on the ground of late. I know, I know, I'm sorry. There are several reasons for this.

1: The Plague. In the space of one week my gorgeous baby boy has had conjunctivitis, dual ear infections (Nice when you go to the doc for eye goop, they check your still-smiling babe's ear holes, and inquire... "did you know he has an ear infection in each year?" Uhm. Nope. Please commence flagellation now. I really don't mind. In fact I'd prefer it) and now some sort of puking/diarrhea, crying-all-the-time-because-he-is-so-miserable thing going on. He is at Home With Daddy right now, who, as he reads this, is resenting the shit out of me for having the time to sit at my desk, sans kiddies, and write this sloppy post.

2: I have been cheating on this blog, with a couple of fluffy posts about Briddish PopCulture over at Mamapop you might have seen (Pop Britannia, Mondays! Check it betches!). And also behind the scenes with planning for new launch of BlogRhet. More on that to come for sure, but team BlogRhet has been hatching plans, and you will invited to participate in our mission for world domination very very soon (we've got a bloggy game/activity in mind). This week, if it kills me.

3. Real Work at Real Job. And lots of it. I could tell you what I am doing, but then I'd have to kill you. Also, people in my workplace are beginning to get a whiff of this blog, and though I am never likely to be dooced, I am likely to be continuously harangued by the geek squad we've got going on over here if I misrepresent anyone or any event. (And by "harangued" being mercilessly ridiculed to where "it's NOT FUNNY any more guys!!!!").

4. Being invited to speak, here:


OMFG! Yes sirree. I am speaking on Saturday at the session on "The Politics of Inclusion and Exclusion of Online Communities." I am there as a blogger and an academic. So I am both thrilled and mildly shitting my pants. Brain power is being devoted to this dual state, and not a small hint of Writer's Block (as I think about the politics of inclusion/exclusion I enact just with this space, and wanting to write about it in meaningful and productive way and not do something idiotic like create an unmitigated us-vs.-them minefield).

I am in no doubt that I will end up boring you to tears over enlisting your opinion on this topic very soon. Yes. This here blog is going to get seriously meta on your ass over the next few months. Lots of banging on about "community" and "identity" and "online spaces." (btw--I don't think all the speakers are announced or finalized for BlogHer yet, in case you were wondering...)

And, of course, for all this I need to focus. (See 1, 2 & 3). I am seriously inspired, seriously schitzo, and seriously stinking of baby vomit.

18 comments:

doow said...

I think you smell lovely.

slouching mom said...

No worries. We aren't going anywhere. That's a meta-blog topic right there...

Reader loyalty:

Is it frequency of posting that inspires loyalty? (I don't think so, unless posting gets down to, say, once a week or less.)

Is it the strength of the writer's voice that inspires loyalty?

Is it the extent to which the writer is personally/emotionally revealing?

Ahh, now we're getting somewhere...

Karen said...

I am the queen of all double ear infections. Little Puppy would have had triple ear infections, if he could have had a third ear. My sympathies.
In all other things meta, I wish you good luck and God speed!

Sandra said...

Whoa busy woman. All that and the plague! Impressive.

Congrats on the speaking engagement ... I'll be in the front row eating up every word.

Fairly Odd Mother said...

Cool stuff going on! Shoot, I wish I was going to BlogHer even more now!

Mary G said...

Ah, ear infections. Yeah. I remember all that. And the insult added to injury when the poor mite came out in hives from the medication.
How you are posting at all is beyond me.
I have a set of links to posts about inclusion/alienation in the mommy blogs. When you get your feet under you, let me know and I'll pass 'em on.
Re Slouching mom's comment. Two out of three. And yes, it's a great topic. Re my reader loyalty -- I check you out frequently, even when the last post is growing whiskers. Why? You're brilliant, that's why.

kgirl said...

Congratulations on the BlogHer invite! I'm sure that's why the baby was smiling despite the goopy face. Hope he's better soonest.

lildb said...

yaaaaaaayyyy! I can't wait to hear you speak. it's gonna be bril-liant.

*dances around in chair*

flutter said...

I am excited to hear you speak, but maybe not to smell you while you speak....

Bon said...

i think the smell of baby vomit enhances one's attention to meta-blog topics and issues of community and identity, because a) one's brain tries desperately to focus in an attempt to block out the sour smell and b) one wonders about things like 'where the $$*# is my community?' and 'how did human barf bag become part of my identity?'

yay for you on the BlogHer invite, dude...very very cool. i am suddenly rife with envy, despite your vomity goodness. ;)

and yeh, we'll still be here, because when you write, you're worth it.

Lawyer Mama said...

I can't wait to hear your talk at Blogher!

I can almost smell the baby puke over here. Wait ... that's coming from *my* baby, who also has a double ear infection & pink eye - which he has given to ME!

Mad Hatter said...

Ya, damn work for actually expecting us to work! I've worked in an environment like yours in the past. The teasing would be three steps beyond mortifying.

Good luck with the paper. You'll do a whizbang job. Wish I were going but it is too damned expensive to get there from the boonies.

I hope the wee one gets better soon.

ozma said...

Oh, dear. And you told me to have another kid. Wanna change that advice?

CONGRATS on your speaking gig. I wish I could go see you. Just judging from what you write in both sites, it will rock.

SM spoke of loyalty and I wish it were loyalty but I'm afraid it's shallower than that in many cases. (Should I admit this?) OK, there's brand loyalty...Is that loyalty? I SHALL ONLY USE HEINZ CATSUP BECAUSE HEINZ CATSUP HAS ALWAYS BEEN THERE FOR ME. I cannot betray it.

Aurelia Bell said...

Oh, man, I live in Chicago, but decided against going to BlogHer. Now, though, my academic-self (I teach at a university here) wishes I was going so I could see your panel!

Mimi said...

I smell like burf too. Jealous husband, desk time, geek squad. Check, check, check.

Now, if you don't mind, I'm going to bed (yawwwwn).

Kelly in Kansas said...

Congrats on Blogher!!! It's especially exciting given that it involves at least two sides of your multiple personalities. ;-)

Redneck Mommy said...

I'd sniff you no matter what you were covered in.

Congrats on Blogher. I can't wait to pinch you inappropriately. I'll be the one drooling over you with a glazed look in my eye. You could be speaking gibberish and it wouldn't matter. I still lurve ya.

Antonia said...

That Saturday session - the political whatsit - sounds like a good meaty one. I'll come and cheer you on!

Danny Evans at Dad Gone Mad had a gripe earlier this year about blogging "cliques". I didn't comment on his post at the time but I gave it some subsequent thought. I see a clique as a group that won't let you in, but the "big-time bloggers" Danny mentioned just can't let everyone in. They can't reply to every email or comment or they'd never do anything else.

Not only do I also smell of baby sick, I am typing one-handed because of a dozing baby, and am doing a terrible job of conveying a point that is probably completely irrelevant. I'll go away now.