3.30.2007

Probed by Tulip...

Brought to you live from Marriott Downtown Hotel in Louisville from The Conference. So much more blogging on THAT in next few days, you are likely to gag. (HBM and Bub roll in tomorrow...I am getting my beauty rest after this so I can receive them appropriately....)

(and yes, this post was just an opportunity to play on word "probe")

I asked Mama Tulip to interview me earlier this week (she did offer. to anyone) Here are her questions and my mangled answers.

1. When you moved abroad, what was the most difficult transition for you to make?
Well I was 21 when I moved to Michigan. At the time the most difficult transition was having to wear midwestern down-filled winter outwear and sensible snow shoes. I was in a hot pants and platform shoes phase, you understand. Bulky clothing was an anathema. I also sorely missed British Telly and thought Seinfeld was dead boring. Yes. I was an idiot.

2. Do you have a British accent? Do you say things like 'mumsy' and 'jolly' and 'righty-o, then' and 'innit'?
I still sound quite Cor Blimey, most certainly. I say "bloody hell" and "shite" and call my husband "love." But I've adjusted my tongue. You say tomayto and I say....tomayto. Mainly because I got a bit sick of being asked to "just say Tom-ah-to one more time, pur-leaaaze." (how I have suffered, Mama T....) To 'mericans I sound like a right old Eliza Doolittle. The folks at home inform me that there's a perceptible shift which is gone within two seconds of a phone call to me Old Mum. I can also really creep out my friends in the States by slipping into a passable midwestern accent from time to time. Oh, and my four year old has a bit of British diction now and then, but has recently taken to informing me that it's not "Cah-stle" it's "Casstle" and not "Ahse" but "Ass" etc., etc. No, I do not say "mumsy," "jolly," or "righty-oh." That's for posh twats from Chelsea, innit?


3. Do you fart in front of your husband?
Did so on our second date. We were engaged within two weeks.

4. What has been the most difficult part of being a mother of two for you?
It's the typical issue of feeling like you are not as "present" for your second as you were with the first. Every milestone with our first was recorded for prosperity; we obsessed over him; we lavished him with attention. With the baby, we (his Dad and I) both have pangs of guilt because he feels like part of the scenery in some ways.

To be honest, though, (and give me time on this--he is in the 4 month relatively mobile and easy stage, after all) it's not anywhere near as tough as we thought it would be. There's something to be said for the four year age gap in that regard. (and of course, as I sit here in my hotel room with a wine buzz and my husband deals with the offspring solo for the long weekend at home, it's easy for me to pontificate on how eeeeeeeasy it is. [Loveyoumeanit, love!])

5. What's your all-time favourite movie?
Waiting for Guffman. ("Those people are Bastard People")

Want to be probed by me? Go on. I dare you. (just say the word...)


Oh--and if you want to know more about the British Language and also want to see House (Hugh Laurie) as I have always known him, see:

34 comments:

slouching mom said...

No, thank you, I've been probed enough already. And quite frankly I'm a little scared of the questions you'd want to ask me.

Oh am I jealous of you in that hotel room as I sit here sick, sniffly, and sorry for myself.

Ask any American woman, and she'll tell you that a guy who is not that hot becomes more so when he speaks with an English accent.

One of my hotties, though, is Hugh Laurie, who is English but speaks (on House) with an American accent. Quite well, I might add.

Go figure.

How did it feel to be probed by a Tulip? Georgia O'Keeffe is coming to mind...

metro mama said...

I got drunk and puked out the car window on our third date. Still got me a ring!

Karen said...

Thank you for the Hugh Laurie from the bottom of my heart.

Mrs. Davis said...

We have a 5-year age gap, and I love it.

Also, your fave move is Waiting for Guffman? We must hang out sometime.

Mom101 said...

The more I know ya, the more I like ya. (Said in total New Yawk accent)

I'm glad Louisville is going your way. Can't wait to hear the long wonderful recaps!

wordgirl said...

I would never have recognized Hugh Laurie as a comic...given that he's so damned cranky on "House".

Why to Brits speak with an American accent so much more successfully (convincingly) that Americans do a British accent? Just wondering.

Miscellaneous-Mum said...

As a card-carrying "Blackadder" devotee, owning the entire scripts and DVD's, it astounds me a) just how convincing Hugh Laurie is playing an American and b) just how much I miss his geeky, boisterous past.

God love him. Have fun at the conference!!

MsPrufrock said...

Well done for becoming all Americanised and what not with your "tomayto" rather than "tomahto". I can't bring myself to do it the other way round, as I think I sound like some arrogant American ::cough:: Madonna, trying to sound English. I seem so fake for me to say tomahto. I just can't do it.

karrie said...

WFG is a great film.

My 2.5 year old says cahstle, but we're in Bahstin and he's picked up a bit of a regional accent.

Woman with kids said...

I so love House... er, Hugh Laurie. He's also a writer, but the book comes across like House wrote it... does that make sense?

Dad Gone Mad said...

My love for you broke containment at number three.

Liz said...

Who is the verbose fellow with Hugh Laurie? I recognize him as the psychologist on "Bones" ... he looks strangely familiar, but I just can't place him! Ta ta!

karla said...

I heard that Hugh Laurie was English. Wow. He is like a totally different man in that clip from the character he plays on House (which is such an awesome show!)

cinnamon gurl said...

Ooh, thanks for the clip. I've seen him speak Brit before, but it's nice to have some context.

Still, it IS a bit creepy how well he does the American accent... putting in his own catheter has only added to the creepy factor... there is still some appeal though.

Sorry... rambling.

mamatulip said...

Good god, so many things to comment on.

1. I think Seinfeld is totally boring.

2. I say 'bloody' all the time. Just this morning I asked -- er, demanded that Julia give her brother the bloody pillow back and she said, "But Mummy, this pillow isn't bloody." I also call everyone in my family 'love'.

3. Re: Number 4: Yes, I know what you mean. As they get bigger they become less scenery and more annoying. *snort* Seriously though, I do know what you're saying.

4. I've never seen WFG. It's on my list now.

And my good golly, I didn't know Hugh Laurie is British...but then again, I don't watch House.

Great answers, Joy. Thanks for letting me probe. 'Twas such fun.

Tere said...

Very cool! You're the second blogger I read today whom I feel like I know a little better, but then again, I'm a total sucker for these survey/interview thingies...

daffa said...

i've just been reading through your blog (which i found through the mummy blogosphere - though i'm not a mummy myself). i appreciate your posts because i too am an expat living in the US (my move is a tad more recent though, i've just hit the 3 week mark). i'm certainly glad to hear that i'm not alone in dealing with "attention for the accent", but i'm wondering.. um... how long before i give up and start saying tom-ay-toe???

Gunfighter said...

Probe me, baby!

Pip pip, cheerio, mate!

Mitchypoo said...

#3 is hilarious! Like your blog!

Oh, The Joys said...

I LOVE Waiting for Guffman. Love it.

something blue said...

My best friend's dad is British. Growing up I used to get a kick out of ringing them on the telly just so that I could hear him say, "One second love, I'll get her for you."

Have a great time in Kentucky!

DysdHousewife said...

I TOTALLY loved hearing the guy on House talking at the awards, in his real Brit accent, and then watching him FAKE the American accent for the show, so bizarre! I can see why you doing that would freak your friends out. LOL

Mimi said...

I'm from Michigan, but live in GA. We lived in London the first 4 years we were married... his friends make fun that he's lost his accent, but he hasn't! No one understands him here. We have great fun teaching the boys rhyming slang!

nomotherearth said...

Love Waiting for Guffman. Love.

My husband is of British descent and he laughed heartily over Simon Cowell saying "It's like chalk and cheese" on American Idol the other night.

flutter said...

I love a farting, english flower. I m envisioning you farting with those crazy-ass bangs.

You should probe me! fluttercrafts at gmail dot com

Mrs. Chicky said...

If you see me in your site meter coming back again and again to your site, it's because of that video. Now I love Hugh Laurie (and you, of course) even more.

Stefanie said...

God I love Hugh Laurie. He is the sexiest man alive. I also love John Hannah. Do you know who he is? I Lurve him!

Crunchy Carpets said...

I came to canada from scotland....I was looking from my school shoes and my 'rubbers' for PE...had no freaking clue.

And everyone laughed when I talked.

they made me say booook a lot.

Fairly Odd Mother said...

I love House and was so thrown when I saw Hugh Laurie in a scene in Stuart Little singing at a piano. I can't quite reconcile his House character with any other one.

What about 'brilliant'? I used to love calling London for work (back in the day) b/c everything I said was 'brilliant'. Please don't tell me that is code for 'you are the dumbest American we have ever encountered'.

Elizabeth said...

The last time we had lunch together, I would say that the more we talked, the less noticeable your accent was.

I wish I had known you during your hot pants and platform shoes phase :)

Peter said...

I can't deal with Hugh Laurie playing an American.

We hail Prince George, we hail Prince George!

ozma said...

I'm sure you kicked butt and took names at your conference. Do tell!

Mimi said...

What, no Vicodin?

Archery, makeup, and scholars, oh my.

Mayberry said...

My husband and I quite often say to each other (with only love in our hearts): "I hate you! and I hate your ASS FACE!"