2.09.2007

Shticking it to You. (now with update!)

Lately, it's been my shtick to harp on about how chaotic and stressful a life with 2 kids, a fulltime job, a partner who works early mornings/evenings, and a breast pump can be. So I feel before I get to the meat of this post, I need to state that there are many many ways in which my life is actually pretty fucking lovely right now.

For instance, despite the fact that life is whirling around us at a frenetic pace, husband and I have managed to remain really rather nice to one another and are getting along a charm. Without being asked, he cooks dinner for when we get home. He cleans. When he can, he packs the car on sub-temperature mornings to ease my burden. We say nice things to one another, like, "I really appreciate it when you clean the nipples for the next morning" and "Thank you for trying to save me from that spit-up torrent." The sum of these small things make me feel immeasurably relieved, appreciated and loved.

Likewise, the Little &^%$#@ is, for the most part, a Golden Child who is besotted with his little brother and a real pro at keeping Baby happy while mommy sorts out dinner (or, uhm, blogs). At times this love is a little too rambunctious, and the tendency to shove a pacifier into the baby's face a little too energetic, but it is always done without any hint of complaint or malice. Quite the opposite. And Baby? Beatific smiles and fat giggles through most waking hours and an ability to be laid in the crib awake and to turn gently over by himself and go to sleep ( I KNOW!!! Can you believe it??) I am not even sleep-deprived. (Dear God, Let me please not jinx myself something horrible with that last admission. Amen.)

I feel irredeemably cheesy when I say I am rich with friends, but fuckit, I am rich with friends. Last night I had 5 of my girls over for knitting and margaritas and a whole lot of belly laughs. I love those girls. I also love my neighborhood and the fact that we have flipping great friends all in spitting distance, and all with kids and a definite non-aversion to "playdates with cocktails, hor d'oeuvres, and perhaps a keg.." In March I am headed for a conference with two of my favorite bloggers and one of my RL greatest friends. And we're presenting on--mommyblogging. (and it's going to be all academic and serious and shit). And then there's this community here--the bloggy one. I only wish I could bring you lot all over for knitting and margaritas (ok. maybe just the margaritas).

Yes. Life is Good...

BUT HOLYFUCKING SHIT I THINK I MIGHT BE EXPERIENCING SOME SORT OF POST-TRAUMATIC STRESS BECAUSE IT HAS BEEN A SHITHOLE OF A MORNING.

First--we played the "is he sick? is he not sick?" with both sons this morning. Big Boy complained of a stomach ache. Dumbfuck ear thermometer read 95.3, 97.5, 98.9, 99.0 and 100.2 respectively. Refusal to eat breakfast. However managed to polish off the "fakeout" cookie with much gusto. You're going to school, buddy. Much screaming ensues. Baby spits up with projectile force several times, several outfits later we are wondering if this is a bug or is this too much in-bed boob access during the night? Lots of smiles and coos later, you're going to the Ladybug's, baby."
[UPDATE: It's now sunday night, and fuck-me if my stomach isn't hurting something rotten. It is hurting and yet I *still* managed to polish of neon pink valentine's cupcake. I might not go into work tomorrow. Because my stomach hurts. And yes. I am a horrible mother.]

Neighbor-friend calls. Can we take his son to school as other child is home sick. With (ehem) fever. Sure. Why not? Get the whole carnival to neighbor's place where neighbor wrestles his screaming son into the car, and my own screaming son is suddenly hysterically territorial about his booster seat. Hysterical screaming on the drive to daycare (baby, however, sleeps through the whole ordeal--isn't he precious??) I begin belting out "I Tawt I Taw A Puddy Cat" as a diversion tactic. My son continues to scream solo. I begin to scream. Find myself uttering the immortal words "DO YOU WANT ME TO STOP THE CAR AND MAKE YOU WALK??? DO YOU?? DO YOU??" Worked like a dream. Drop off resembles driveby ejection.

Next the Dentist. I do not like the dentist. In fact I think I can go officially on record as phobic. First words as he checked out my gnashers. Root Canal.

ROOT CANAL!!!

Yep. Root Canal. Next Week. Fan-fucking-tastic.


ANYHOO. Today is my blogiversary. One year to the day I wrote some posts and felt like I was waving a flag in space. And I am still here. Still with the oranges. So thanks for reading. It really means a great deal that you lot would be patient enough to read through some of the shit I've laid down, and even more that some of you even comment say nice things. I am learning a lot about myself as a writer, and through writing I am learning about myself. Like how I can't abide clich├ęs. And how I feel you all as the wing beneath my wings.

uhm. if you would take it upon yourself to delurk and comment on this post, coz it is my blog-birfday you know, i'd be ever so, ever so.... i am writing this teeny-weeny so that if you *don't* delurk i can tell myself that it's because you missed the fine print and because "you love me, but you're not "in love" with me."






37 comments:

Dysd. Housewife said...

OH NO the dreaded root canal. Actually, I have had FOUR of them. And they really aren't as bad as everyone makes them out to be. They just take longer. You won't feel your face or neck for a week, cuz they do numb you up GOOD. HAPPY BLOGDAY!

Dysd. Housewife said...

OH and personally, I love the oranges. They are bright and sunny. :)

Anonymous said...

Delurking to kiss your ass and tell you how much I love your blog. Am also an academic, also in Michigan, and also with 2 wee ones, so I very much relate to much of what your saying. Alas, I am NOT British, but am very amused by your Brit perspective.

Oh, The Joys said...

Happy Blog Anniversary... you know how I feel about the oranges!

Woman with kids said...

Oh dear. Um. Happy blogiversary. And the root canals, not so terribly terrible.

And? I'd love to come over and knit. And drink. Heh. Drinking with sharp needles. Perfect!

Mimi said...

can we be best friends? 'cause i'm hooked up to the damn pump right now, even! and i regularly jinx myself posting about sleep. and also, wrote a book chapter about blogging ... all academic and shit. asit were. also i wrote a post dedicated to margaritas.

doow said...

I am in love with you. But that's ok, isn't it?
Happy blogiversary ... just you wait 'til boy number two is big enough to plot and scheme proper havoc together with boy number one. Ah, what fun mornings you'll have then!

Mrs. Chicky said...

Does it count as delurking if this is my first visit? No? Good. Now that we've got that squared away, happy blog anniversary. One year feels like forever in ol' blogland, don't it?

BlogWhore said...

um. i'm still stuck on the part about knitting and margeritas cuz that sounds like fun.

Mayberry said...

Hi Joy! Waving at you from across the lake. Happy anniversary.

bubandpie said...

Hey! It's your blogiversary, and it's still kind of my birthday (which doesn't officially end until Sunday, when I get cake). Yay for us!

Random Impressions said...

Hey Happy blogiversary - I am totally in love with you
I wish I could dejinx myself too by bloggong about my family's current jinx of infections/fevers/my biiten boobs which have been running for the past 6 mnths... SIGH...

Liz said...

Happy Blogoversary ... I too am a former champion pumper (five months exclusively as baby boy was not a boob man, where's my medal?) and am a former nanny for a family in West London. I love your blog for my daily Brit Fix ... wish I could take a pill and have that British humor. Love it, love it, love it! But unfortunately I must remain a boring old American for the rest of my days. Happy Day!

canadian sadie said...

happy birfday :) and, btw, hi!

sween said...

Hey! Have a happy happy!

There. De-lurked.

:-D

Bloor West Mama said...

Happy Blog Anniversary!

Anonymous said...

For the love of me i can't remember if i've commented here before, but in honor of your blogiversary let's consider this a delurking:) Happy happy Joy Joy! Hope all goes well with the canal. Also - kudos to the husband! You guys are lucky to have each other.

P.S. Imagine this: i usually read you from LITHUANIA! Yes, THAT obscure place. Except now i am in Jerusalem, but i still check your blog every day. Is this love or what?

Lia said...

de-lurking, happy blog day, come past the oranges almost daily for a giggle. L.

Jenn said...

Delurking to say Happy Blog Birthday!

sweatpantsmom said...

HAPPY BLOGIVERSARY!

I'm still laughing about the scene you laid out in your car. If we could get some video of you singing "I Tawt I Taw A Puddy Cat" over the screams of two hysterical kids - well, that would just make my day.

Country Mouse said...

Delurking for the second time in, what's it been, a week? Just to say I'm not in love with you, but I love you anyway. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

De-lurking to tell you as a mom with a phd (Americanist here) and little baby boy that I adore your blog. Happy blog-birth-day!

DDM said...

Hi there. Happy blogiversary! Delurking to thank you for the giggles I get almost every time I visit you here. :-)

Oh, The Joys said...

If you stay home tomorrow you will be near the cupcakes! Bonus!

Dee Dee said...

Delurking to say congrats on the blogiversary and good luck on the root canal...

Sally said...

Delurking a couple of days late here. I hope your weekend was better than Friday was. I'm about to have baby #2 (C-Sec a week from this Thursday), so I enjoy reading about your experiences with your new baby. Happy Blogiversary!

mothergoosemouse said...

...I'm not in love...it's just a silly phase I'm going through...

Okay, I do love you. Although I cannot contain my envy - what do you MEAN you're not sleep-deprived?!

Mocha said...

I don't delurk per se. I read, nod, laugh and move on lest I can't read all my favorites of which you are one, you saucy little tart, you.

Congrats on all fronts. The speaking engagement, the blog anniversary, and the boobs. What? That's a "front".

Tina C. said...

Congratulations and thanks for turning me on to the fug girls.

Elizabeth said...

Well now I feel bad that I wasn't here on the day to wish you Happy Blog Birthday. I blame my ridiculously long blogroll and the fact that my husband says I love my blog more than him (not really, but he did pout about it this weekend).

Root canal this week? Ouch. Let me know if you need anything.

ozma said...

But I AM in love with you.

Sorry to be late on this post. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY. You are already a bloggin' superstar after one year?

You inspire me.

Hope the root canal's an easy one. (Did you get a second opinion? I'm all for the second dental opinion. I've avoided two root canals that way--mostly because I can't afford the suckers. Depends on the dental issue--email me if you want more info.)

lildb said...

oh, but I *am* in love with you.

or, more honestly, I am in love with your writing. I get super-duper excited when I see that you've dropped in at my blog since you're so rarely out and about, these days. given the insane level that you live at. which I respect. hence my excitement when you cruise by.

this is all to say that I think you're kool and the gang, and yay! for your aniversario.

and "driveby ejection" is my new favorite phrase.

the end.

lildb said...

also, that sounds like I'm somehow begging for you to be reading my blog all the time. what I meant was - oh, jesus. here we go. I'm gonna make it worse. all I was trying to say, and still am, is that I love your writing. here, there, and everywhere.

here's to cliches and commonly-used phrases. I hate them, too. so why do I use them in every other sentence?

Joy, please cut me off. 86 me. helpppppppp.

Christina said...

Happy blog anniversary! I'd be happy to come drink and knit anytime - two of my favorite activities!

That is one sneaky virus going around. The tale of your son screaming matches what my daughter did all weekend. Is there such a thing as a sub-sick, just-a-pain-in-the-ass illness?

neva said...

I MISSED YOUR GODDAM FUCKING BLOGIVERSARY?? GODDAM I'M SUCH A STOOPID FUCKING MAROON!! ARGGGGHHHHH!!!

forgive me, dearest friend -- now that i think about it for half a tick, i believe this is right around the time i first got to know/love/appreciate/adore you -- i'd have sent flowers, but after that restraining order, i wasn't sure i could have anything delivered to your doorstep without a hassle. xoxoxoxoxox

Her Bad Mother said...

I missed your blogiversary, and I am a tard, but you love me still, and that makes it okay.

Right?

ella said...

When I read your sentence 'I really appreciate it when you clean the nipples for the next morning'I nearly spat my tea. This is my first visit here but I will definitely be back. Oh and a belated Happy Blogiversary!