1.05.2007

2 hourly feedings...

Yes, my seven week old is still on about 2-3 hour feedings. Good thing is that he takes about 3-5 minutes to scarf down a full dosage, so it's not as debilitating as it could be, although at times I dream of Le Leche League-Like bliss, where I calmly read a novel or have "me" time whilst I sit with him nuzzled against me and gently feeding and then drifting to sleep (for 3 hours, after I gently place him in his crib and he does not wake).

Instead, we have 3-5 minutes of furious gurgling, sucking, and the indignant squawks he emits when he finds himself hosed down by boob spray or if he comes unlatched. It's like wrestling a small squirming pig, but it's brief, and seems to do the job (he's now nearly 12 lbs).

Speaking of 2 hourly feedings, I do not seem to be able to stop cramming my face. I wish I could say I was imbibing bulgur wheat, tofu treats, and ample fresh fruit, but instead I am working my way very steadily through the massive piles of chocolate that remain in our home after the holidays. Nanny and Grandy have flown back to England, and behind them have left a house bulging with rich food which, for some reason, I feel indebted to eat so I can get it out of the house before I start to "get back in shape..." Throwing it away--1lb bars of Toblerone, for instance--is simply not an option. This stuff is premium, I tell you. So eat it I will. Even while I know that it's making me feel fat, sluggish and generally not very good. It's my mission. Not even the fact that I managed to (I have no fucking idea HOW) lose all my pregnancy weight within 4 weeks but now the scale is now creeping scarily upwards will stop me. My stomach is now at full capacity (no 10lb baby cramming it into a wee pocket) and I can eat like a maniac and still not feel sickishly full. I think I might need help.

I return to aerobics tomorrow (more precisely--"cardio buffet"). Maternity leave ends in 2 weeks, and I can return to work and the "all things good to eat" deprivation chamber that is my office (if I was SAHM I would be mega, I swear. Either that, or there would be a "no cookies for anyone" policy in the home).

And here ends my obligatory January "I feel fat post..."

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, Toblerone... my long, lost friend.

K said...

Sorry. I'm still at "all my pregnancy weight in 4 weeks."

You damn Brits.

:)

Anonymous said...

Hey, at least you have an excuse for being really hungry. And a very legitimate one at that! What's MY excuse? Um...after giving it a lot of thought, I've decided to blame birth control. It can't talk back and refute my claim...hehehe.

Seriously though...nursing burns a LOT of calories and chocolate is FULL of antioxidants :)

Anonymous said...

I 've heard that a pound of chocolate per minute of nursing is totally acceptable.

ozma said...

I never was that hot on chocolate until I started nursing and then I became a fiend. The darker, the better.

Nursing can take the weight off in a amazing way but it takes a long time. I keep thinking if I'd kept nursing my child until middle school I could have been thin as a rail but alas, the experience of having my shirt ripped off in public got to me eventually. Next one, though.

Anonymous said...

mmm... a pound of Toblerone...

Your little one's nursing habits sound exactly like Swee'pea's when he was a newborn. He started to get more relaxed and almost leisurely after about 4 or 6 months I think. You probably have a really strong letdown.

Fresh Mommy said...

It would be a sin to throw out a Toblerone bar. There are children starving in China, you know. That's why I'm *forcing* myself to eat ALL the Lindt truffles that remain in my house post-holiday. Everyday I tell myself, It's for the children of the world. If not for them, then for whom?

mamatulip said...

I remember being SHOCKED at how much and how often Oliver ate when he was an infant. And it left me starving and also very pasty all...the...time...

Her Bad Mother said...

"I feel indebted to eat so I can get it out of the house before I start to "get back in shape..." Throwing it away--1lb bars of Toblerone, for instance--is simply not an option. This stuff is premium, I tell you. So eat it I will."

Obviously, my voice carries over the Great Lakes and the border and into your home. Because it was I who spoke these words. Three times today, I think, to the husband, who smirks and continues working away at the shortbread.

Elizabeth said...

Joy, I got a YMCA membership for Christmas! We are signed up at the Westside Y, now I just need to know what class to take. Email me!

Lisa b said...

Hi, I lurk here via HBM just had to finally comment that I too yearned for those blissful la leche league moments.
More importantly didn't your parents bring dairy milk or flake, buttons or minstrels? It would be far more of a travesty to let that go to waste. If you need any help please let me know.

Mom101 said...

Oh man, thanks for reminding me of what I'm in store for as I prepare to nurse #2 - insatiable hunger for all things cellulite-causing. Grrrr.

I'm sure that while you feel fat, you look like a glowing, beautiful, ginger-haired goddess.