11.15.2006

Apparently, Third Time is Not Always a Charm....

Yes. You thought that after so many days absent, surely this means she is dwelling in the baby vortex. Well I hate to be so utterly tedious and say not yet....

(Yawn...I am boring myself silly, so sorry to suck you into the ennui. I would really like to post about something else. Truly I would)

That said, it does not mean I did not spend most of Monday with some pretty serious contractions going on. Tuesday night up and down, up and down (oooh. this is it, this is it, this is IT!) and then by yesterday lunchtime back at the hospital for the third time, pretty sure this time it was it, only to be told....

Put on this robe.
Pee in this cup.
Open Wiiiiide!
OK. Take a walk.
Jump up and down.
Open Wiiiiiide!
Uhm. Go Home.

And so here I am, although the end is in sight. The docs have taken pity with comments along the line of "maybe it's time to put you out of your misery.. there's only so long a person can go on having contractions 1-3 minutes and not really progress. And this here baby looks like a big 'un. Howzabout a bit of pitocin?"

So I am "pencilled in" for an induction tomorrow afternoon. (cripes!) I am really not at all sure how I feel about it all right now. I am excited, but also shitscared about the whole induction thing. Not that I've not sampled from the fake hormonal plate before--pitocin is what eventually brought my son into this world (along with forceps, vaccuum, and a whole lot of endless ineffectual pushing on my part). I think I was really hoping that with *this* one, the passageways would be cleared, so to speak, and after a few flutters of pain, a big fat epidural (that actually works thankyouverymuch-not-like-last-time-when-I-had-two-and-could-still-very-much-use-and-feel-my-legs-and-more-to-the-point-my-stomach-back-and-crotchal-region) then, say, a couple of delicate pushes, he would slither out smiling beatifically all ready to latch on and sleep through the night.

Actually (even though this should be the least of my worries) the thing I hate about the pitocin thing is the big ole IV needle shoved in the (wince) back of your hand. Although I guess you need that with an epidural too, so....poke me up.

OK. I am off to submit to so-far controlled urge to nest, clean, do laundry, and be general all-round freak for the next 24 hours or so.

Please send me "let your labor and delivery be filmed in soft-focus and accompanied by Enya" vibes;-)

14 comments:

macboudica said...

Good luck and may it all be over soon.

Mega Mom said...

I keep checking in Sister :) I went to the dr. today and shocker of all shockers I am 3cm. I've NEVER dialated before labor. I expect it'll still be awhile, but for various reasons, I'm scheduled for the big ole induction on Dec. 1. I'm feeling your pain--well, not really b/c I haven't been contracting (although the big ole head is WAY down)--which again is strange b/c with the first 3 I had lots of contractions, no dilation. Very interesting... Sending HUGE enya vibes your way. All the best!

mamadaisy said...

fear not the pitocin. it's all the same, more or less. best of luck to you!

Jozet said...

OHH! Many "let your labor and delivery be filmed in soft-focus and accompanied by Enya" vibes coming your way!

You WILL be posting from the birth, right?

Congrats! Can't wait to meet the newest member of the human race!

MrsFortune said...

Oh, I'm so excited about this little gingajoy offspring!!! May your labor be fuzzy and new-wavey. Long live the epidurral. I'll be thinking of you and want to see pictures as soon as is bloggerly possible. Big hugs.

Anonymous said...

Oh good luck, good luck! Can't wait to meet the new arrival. You know, when he finally arrives.

K said...

Um. Are you going to live blog your labor? That's all I want to know.

:)

Hang in there - happy thoughts.

OPEN. THINK OPEN.

sween said...

If I was a doctor, I would do my best to see if epidurals could some how be administered using some form of cookie-delivery mechanism.

Please take that as my best wishes.

sunshine scribe said...

I keep stopping by to see if the baby has come. Thinking of you lots!

themikestand said...

Good luck with the pitocin. I look forward (still) to your big announcement.

Anonymous said...

When I was late my OB kept suggesting increased "hanky panky" (actual words). Seriously?! That was the LAST thing on my mind.

Kyahgirl said...

oh, I hope you have a baby now!!
best wishes. :-)

Ele said...

Just think of Ab Fab's Eddy's memories of her birth of Saffy: a fuzzy edged image of a beautiful, graceful woman producing a glowing angel of a baby with ease, and a waterfall of rose petals being sprinkled over the beds saying 'No! No drugs for me!' (needless to say Patsy later reveals this was not the truth).

I'm thinking of you!

ozma said...

I'm singing in a space age falsetto...going "aaaaahhhhh" and imagining laser lights drifting lazily through machine-produced fog as you give birth magically and painlessly and all the rest.

(I got induced. Yes, do not fear the pitocin. The only thing is that what you get at first may feel a bit like cramping so just remember: it's actually labor and do the labor thingies. For some reason I just sort of withstood my agony for hours and horus while forgetting the months of prep since it wasn't labor, I forgot to try any breathing and the rest--but that hypno crap was for pain. So if you do feel pain, forget not the labor prep junk...not that you'll need it, as Enya is lighting your way!)