6.16.2006

Potentially Unattractive Namedropping Post...

A long time ago, in a time when "blog" was a term not even invented, and when "cyber," "virtual," and "the net" were terms used entirely unironically and unnostalgically to refer to the content of the "World Wide Web," well I knew a tall young lady with enviable arched eyebrows and a passion for Modernist aesthetics. You know her as Sweetney, but back then she was just Tracey. This was before either of us had kids (both our darlings were born within 10 days of each other) and our lives consisted of English graduate classes and interminable grading. Oh, and a lot of drinking, smoking, and parties that involved awkward small-group dancing in someone's sitting room. I will never hear Captain and Tennille without thinking of Tracey. Or see Showgirls, for that matter.

Circa 1995, Tracey and I were a part of a small group of English Grads asked to be the "judges" for an undergraduate creative writing contest (which on my part, was utterly laughable because I had never written creatively in my life). By far the best entry was by a young man who had written a very serious film-noir-esque short story, which involved a disturbing and erotic dream sequence where the protagonist was visited in his bedroom by his mother who leisurely "unzipped her robe..."

That choice of detail--the zippered robe. It slayed us at the time (unnurturing and bitter mentors that we were). And it still makes me titter now and then. (Chances are the author of this little piece is a vastly successful novelist or screenwriter now, so how do I like them apples?)

Anyway, as I have mentioned before, even though I slogged through English Grad school, I am not one to "curl up with a book of poetry." But long ago when Tracey shared a few poems with me I was quite startled and disarmed by them.

If you want a glimpse into another side of Sweetney and her creativity, check out a few of her poems here. They're.... Well, they're pure poetry...

6 comments:

Mom101 said...

Five new reasons that I love Sweetney. Well, six. That one being that you love her too.

bubandpie said...

I've been starting to suspect that the word "cyber" had to be used nostalgically and/or ironically. But I'm not entirely sure why! Aaaaahhhh! (off to desperately revise recent uncool posts and comments)

neva (but don't tell anyone) said...

after all this time you *finally* reveal that little tid-bit of information? i had no idea you were so *well* connected (tho' that IS where we met, now that i think about it!)

you're right. she's even more brilliant than i already thought she was (i am, afterall, a fan!). but then, your no slouch yourself, there, Red!! xoxo

(thanks for changing that link. i'm not embarrassed at all. nope. not. one. little. bit.) : P

Mocha said...

Wow. That's good stuff.

I'm wondering who I could name drop about and I really don't think that saying that I nearly slept with the guy who played a cabbie on a movie with Ted Danson will do it. The better story would be to say that he..umm... couldn't perform.

That's pure poetry, too.

Elizabeth said...

I didn't realize you were at MSU at the same time as Tracey! It's a small freakin' world, huh?

Anonymous said...

Very nice site! http://www.wheelchairs-9.info/Hair-loss.html 1985 tvr engineering ltd tvr 280i convertible http://www.percocet-8.info circuit breakers mp c tramadol info buy tramadal online Minivan car rental middle east Free training on affiliate programs Ambien time detected drug testing Used buick skylark loss body hair pics of customized oldsmobile cutlass Retrieving deleted files windows xp Nutrition hair loss does prednisone cause hair loss Side effect topamax